W a l t e r z A l t e r
p o r t f o l i o
a r t i c l e s
100 Dumbass Questions a Fool Would Waste Time With
1. visual impressions register on the retina, go to the brain and then what?
2. without language, human beings would be incapable of what functions or actions
3. life occurs in a dead universe. so what is morepowerful, life or death?
4. we all have a "voice in our head", what is it'ssource and is that what we are?
5. Infancy is a period of total helplessness, how could that define our adult outcome?
6. what cognitive tools allow us to hypothesize a subconscious mind?
7. what does simultaneous really mean and what sense best perceives it?
8. what sort of indexing scheme does memory use?
9. what is the inconceivable and why do we have a word for it?
10. why can't you access any memory you wish any time you wish? why do we forget?
11. what sort of cogition is involved in a "gut feeling"?
12. are there any conscious reflexes or are "conscious" and "reflex" mutually exclusive?
13. what would absolute maximum pleasure be like and how long would it last?
14. do all perceptual constants and static backgrounds become invisible? what do we not perceive simply because it is there and unchanging?
15. why can we say the word "everything" without laughing and how much of it goes imperceived?
16. 20 million species survive on the planet, survival is not a big deal. so what are we engineered for beyond survival?
17. where do numbers come from and why do they make uspowerul?
18. next time you are in a tub, sink down with your earsunder water and speak. this is how loud the unborn hear things in utero. what is the effect of heartbeat, mother's speech, digestion and other sounds upon later cognition?
19. exactly what is the human orgasm and why is it not like changing a light bulb or stamp collecting?
20. what structural aspects of Universe allow for us to exist?
21. how does the subconscious connect to the conscious?
22. why would a person/people invent or not invent a tool?
23. what is the difference between a cliche and an archtype?
24. if you vowed to "improve" your self every waking second, what would happen?
25. how is it that we can arrange words to describe things that have not been experienced or do not exist?
26. how is random measured? (hint: if it can be measured, it aint). so...how can random be conceived?
27. is it better to know as much as you can all the time?
28. what are the organizational/structural laws observable within the dream?
29. what is the relationship between the infinite and the subjective?
30. what is the bandwidth and storage medium of memory?
31. what is a perfect copy...really, totally, absolutely perfect?
32. the "spirit" is usually conceived of as disembodied, in order to last a real long time, it is assumed. what would a non-aging 3-D body have to do that our current ones don't do?
33. what is an efficient way to consider the concept of efficiency?
34. how is it that we often overlook the obvious?
35. what sorts of learning are additive, what sorts are substitutive?
36. what sorts of intention are implicit within being, what can we not avoid intending and go on living?
37. what is a threshold & how is its approach detected?
38. what would a Universe with no repetition be like?
39. why is time directional?
40. when you try to remember something, what is going on in your head?
41. how does binocular vision create space? (close 1 eye & compare the view, do this for an hour, heh heh)
42. if vibration implies elasticity, what does harmonic imply?
43. how will future generations benefit from you having been here?
44. if we can never know "everything", why even start? what does "something" imply?
45. what characterological attributes insure uncritical compliance to another person's game plan or whim??
46. what can we observe about the difference between an object and its background?
47. how do we form, use, magnify and/or abandon hypotheses?
48. what would it be like to think exclusively in images?
49. what is attention?
50. what would happen if you were unable to make comparisons?
51. what does it mean to be deluded?
52. how does the structure of a phenomenon determine the action it will take?
53. how is it that we often overlook the obvious?
54. how do you derive many from one?
55. what is a symbol and how does it work?
56. what would and error-free existence consist of?
57. if many of your biological and psychological functions are beyond your control, what, then, is a "you"?
58. how can we hypothesize about what we do not know?
59. are there any parts of so-called "ancient wisdom" that are obsolete?
60. what is certainty and what happens when it is challnged?
61. how are expectations originated and what occurs in the mind when an expectation is not met?
62. how does one determine the potential of any person or system?
63. where do you place choice within the determination of what is necessary?
64. how is it possible to claim an impulse towards perfection?
65. what tools does the mind use to look at itself?
66. what is described by mathematics?
67. what determines the end points at the poles of opposites?
68. what is the process of mind involved with gathering greater quantities of detail about a subject?
69. what is the process of mind involved in caricaturing or satirizing a subject?
70. is sacrifice synonymous with long-range planning? what shape would the longest range planning conceivable take?
71. why does a dated social phenomenon become "quaint"?
72. what do the psychological conundrums of "photographic memory" and "idiot savant" imply in regards to mental potential?
73. how does the fact that the past serves as the background upon which the present (and future) play, determine a dynamic of unfolding human events?
74. drugs can alter one's mood. thoughts can alter one's mood. what is the interactive connection between brain chemistry and will?
75. what is measurement?
76. what is a non-intuitive definition of "intuitive" and vice versa?
77. what about humn infancy dictates the shape of society?
78. does the Universe need to be as big as it is?
79. a full understanding of any one field of knowledge necessarily connects it to others. what are those connections and how do they work?
80. postulate an existence without pain, danger or boredom. what is the picture you have of this?
81. how many times a day do you "break the law", whether legal writ or societal?
82. many meditation techniques have you concentrate on an object. is their any object of meditation that would not lead to an insight?
83. while asleep, your body moves considerably, why does it not drive down to Burger King or take a big dump on the mattress?
84 Freud said that all human action is a sublimation of instinct. what in instinct allowed a man to walk onthe moon?
85. why should the phenomenon of "multiple personality" concern us?
87. how can we account for the immensity and smallness of the Universe?
88. is there any concept, the meditation of which would make one permanently insane?
89. you have a powerful enemy who has won a battle against you. can you ever adopt his methods
90. what are categories?
91. why does the premise "all is relative" beg the question- "to what"? and thus, destroy the original premise?
92. what sorts of ideas could have endured from the dawn of civilization?
93. what is the difference between being told that you have 10 seconds to live, ten minutes, ten hours...etc.?
94. what is nostalgia?
95. would a full-on science-based, rational, pragmatic, total-field efficient society be desireable to you?
96. what does it mean to domesticate an animal?
97. with what tools do we predict the future in daily, mundane tasks?
98. comet Shoemaker/Levy 2 has been spotted heading for Earth. what is your duty?
99. Salvador Dali has been spotted heading for Earth. what is your duty?
100. what are those little whirling white dots one often sees floating before the eyes in bright sunlight?